Get Ready for Presidents' Day Sales
Other than the day off from work or school, what does President’s Day mean? Great sales, of course! And we don’t mean just on cars. Although you probably won’t find rock-bottom deals like you did on Black Friday, there are many reasons why you should take the day to do some shopping at your favorite stores. Whether you shop in store or online, you’re sure to find some great sales on the things you want or need.
Don’t forget – Valentine’s Day and President’s Day fall on the same weekend this year. They’re on February 14 and 16, respectively. So if you’re looking to save on Valentine’s Day gifts for your significant other, you’re in luck. Many retailers are having combo sales, so here’s your chance to save big. Read on to find out what to expect for this year’s President’s Day sales.
What to Expect – Generally Speaking
President’s Day sales tend to last longer and longer every year. You can expect some sales to start as early as February 5 and last until the 22nd. This will give you more time to save big.
In the past, President’s Day sales focused primarily on mattresses and furniture. The sales this year, however, are expected to encompass a wider variety of categories. You can expect most stores – particularly big-box stores such as Kmart, Walmart and Target – to offer at least 10% off various items. Other good places to shop for sitewide sales: Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg and TigerDirect. Expect to see laptops, tablets and HDTVs as much as 80% off.
A majority of sales will feature clothing and technology. In particularly, electronics retailers like Dell, Staples and Office Depot will likely hold big sales. Expect huge deals on laptops or dollar-off savings (such as $50 off a minimum amount). As for clothing, Nordstrom and 6pm.com often offer savings of up to 85%.
If you’re looking for the traditional furniture and mattress discounts, check out Wayfair, IKEA and Kmart for savings of 50-80%. If a new mattress is what you need, you can save up to 70% at Sears and Kohl’s.
Best Places to Shop for Your Valentine
If you’re looking to for a great deal on a Valentine’s Day present, here are some stores to check out.
- Bluefly – Save up to 75% off. Sale includes Valentine’s Day gifts such as jewelry – think watches, necklaces, bracelets and rings. Handbags and fragrances are also on sale.
- Macy’s – Macy’s offers a Valentine’s Day gift guide that includes earrings, necklaces and bracelets. Macy’s has President’s Day sales every year, so expect these items to be 20-75% off just before V-Day.
- Kay Jewelers also has an online gift guide and also holds President’s Day sales every year. Look for in-store promotions and online-only deals to save big.
- Best Buy – Save up to 25% off HDTVs and up to $100 off select Surface Pro 3 tablets. Select laptops are also on sale. Many of these deals will last until March - ideal for those who purchase Valentine’s Day gifts at the last minute.
- Amazon – Expect a sitewide sale. This will likely encompass a variety of categories, with many items that the man or woman in your life will love, such as electronics, jewelry, books, chocolate, grooming essentials and stuffed animals. Expect to save at least 10%.
- Belk – Save up to 50% on golf apparel, clothing, lingerie, accessories, jewelry and electronics – all great Valentine’s Day gifts.